Two Factor Authentication is a security process in which you provide two means of identifying yourself to the Safefood 360° software.
The first stage requires memorization (Username and Password). This second requires physical possession through your mobile or smartphone. In this context, the two factors involved are sometimes spoken of as ‘something you know’ and ‘something you have’.
Two Factor Authentication or 2FA greatly reduces the likelihood of an unauthorized user gaining access to your account. To do so they would need to have both your login credentials as well as access to your personal smartphone.
1. Access and Edit Profile
- Click GoTo > Portal > My Profile. You can also access your profile page by clicking your name in the top bar of the application.
- Click Edit Profile
2. Enable Two Factor Authentication
- Check the box where it says “Enable Two Factor Authentication”.
- If you would optionally like the one-time access codes sent to your cellphone as an SMS each time you login then tick this box. Ensure that format of your cellphone number is as you would dial it internationally e.g. +16463600210.
3. Install Google Authenticator on Smartphone
- From your Smartphone open the app store and search for the free Google Authenticator app. There is an app available for all Smartphones including iPhone, Android, Blackberry and Windows.
- When you find the Google Authenticator app download it, install it and then open it.
4. Add Safefood 360° to Google Authenticator
The following instructions are for an iPhone however other Smartphones will be similar.
- With the Google Authenticator app open click the PLUS icon in the bottom right hand corner.
- Make sure that you are adding a ‘Time Based’ token.
- Click “Scan Barcode” and point the camera at the barcode generated on your ‘My Profile’ screen at step 2 above.
- Alternatively, you can type in your email address and the authentication key manually into the app, but scanning the barcode is quicker and easier. The authentication key is shown just above the barcode on your ‘My Profile’ screen.
- Once complete you will see a random 6 digit number in the app which will automatically change every 30 seconds.
5. Login with Two Factor Authentication
With 2FA enabled you will be presented with an additional form just after completing your login as shown above.
You should open the Google Authenticator app on your Smartphone and then enter the 6 digit code into the form and press Continue. If you have enabled the SMS option then the code will be sent to your cellphone as a text message.
Note that the 6 digit code changes every 30 seconds so you will need to enter the code within the 30 second window. This code is unique to your account and your smartphone.
6. HELP! I can’t login..
2FA uses a time based token so it is imperative that your smartphone is configured with the correct time. Both the Safefood 360 application and your smartphone must be in sync with international time, irrespective of which timezone you may be in. So if you are having trouble logging in check that your smartphone has the correct time or is set to update from internet time. Most smartphones do this automatically so you are unlikely to encounter this problem.
If you have enabled 2FA on your account and you have mislaid your smartphone then you will not be able to log in. Or if you have accidentally uninstalled the Google Authenticator app then you will not be able to log in either. Please open a ticket with support by emailing email@example.com from the email address of your account. Support will unlock your account so that you can log back in normally, and then re-enable Two Factor Authentication if you choose to do so. Each time you disable and then re-enable Two Factor Authentication you will need to complete all of the steps above again because the authentication key will change each time.